Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easterday!

Happy Easter bloggers and blog-readers!
For many people, Easter equals chocolate eggs, bunny rabbits and all the beautiful chocolate artwork that you see in supermarkets at this time of year (yummy!).

The real meaning of Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion.

For me, Easter day reminds me of another exceptional person.  A bit similar to Jesus, this person bears the weight of the cross daily.  This person is Kenny Easterday.  Here is an excerpt of the Wikipedia article on him:


"Kenny Easterday is an American man born with a rare disability called sacral agenesis. To improve his mobility, his legs were amputated at the hip when he was six months old.  Easterday gained some notoriety following the 1988 release of the Canadian movie The Kid Brother (1988), in which he played a fictionalized version of himself. To this day, Kenny Easterday refuses to use a prosthesis, preferring to walk on his hands or use a skateboard.  He was married at the age of 19 to an able-bodied woman named Sarah; they were divorced two years later. He was a regular on The Jerry Springer Show as The Messenger."


 Here is the link to watch a video of one of his appearances on the Jerry Springer show:

Sadly the woman on the show was scared of him and was not very friendly to Kenny.


For more pictures:

I recently watched a documentary on him, and being a physiotherapist, his case really caught my attention.  I watched in awe how he walked on his hands, and did pretty much about everything- the dishes, household chores and even his manly duties (yes he does have his private parts).  He plays pool, goes bowling and even drives.  I remember watching his movie The Kid Brother when I was a little girl.  All I remember from the movie was a boy with only the upper half of the body but who was very agile.

The world is full of exceptional people.  I've also seen on TV:
- people with no arms playing the piano with their feet
- a woman suffering from the same condition as Kenny giving birth to 2 kids
- a blind boy who moves around using sounds to guide him (using echolocation like bats do)
I'm sure there are many other extraordinary people I have yet to see. 

Now that's what I call inspiring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment